13 March 2012

Promote Yourself

Profiles are there to sell you 



Some simple tips include
  • Be original and creative (even in the name that you choose)   Browse profiles for both genders, learn by their successes (what appeals to you) and their failures (what makes you want to flee from their profiles).  
I have written some lengthy profiles in my time with my desire being to attract articulate men. One has to do this in a non-monotone fashion.  There has to be something within the writings to hold someone's attention.  Do, however, be aware many people purely look at your photographs.

  • Be honest but learn quickly what information to share and what to withhold: it is not necessarily a good thing to know that you have had forty lovers and ten of them sired children with you.  Honesty is commendable but DON'T state how genuine you are as even liars can and DO make that statement.  Honesty can only be proven over time.  
Every single dating site I have signed up to and actually used has given me experiences of disingenuous men claiming to be totally/utterly/truly etc etc genuine.  Fortunately these men have admitted their deceit (always around their declared "singledom") prior to a date. Amazingly some express surprise that I then refuse to meet them.  I have had feedback women are often creative with their age and body size, whereas men are creative with their height - the truth will out!

  • Do not state things of a subjective nature.  It is attractive to be confident but unattractive to show arrogance, and there is a fine line between the two.  The subject of looks is a good example.  Click here for further advice or simply wait until you read the next chapter.
In my experience a person claiming to be attractive/good-looking/handsome is inviting judgement and for me that judgement results in being sarcastically caustic.  Do you really want someone messaging you and making remarks such as the following: "where is the good-looking one of whom your profile states?"; "do not believe everything your mother tells you, she's biased"; "whom-so-ever told you that you are good-looking needs to go to Specsavers"; "did you buy a faulty talking mirror from seven height-challenged men?". 


When men ask me whether I like what I see, I have taken to responding with "you are no Adonis to my no Venus".  Oops I've been mixing up my Roman and Greek Gods of beauty. So I may have to state Aphrodite the next time.
    In all seriousness (all right I mean in partial seriousness) I did actually ask a date why he placed very attractive on his profile.  I think I induced an identity crisis because I did not concur with his female friends who apparently told him  to state it.  The sunburn did not help his case either.

    • No text speak unless you are trying to indicate humour.  Making use of smiley icons may assist here.  
    Believe me, you do NOT come across as youthful or with the times.  In fact it ages you as nowadays text speak is practically obsolete due to an abundance of free mobile texts. Leave it to the teens on Facebook, Twitter, Tumbler and other networking sites. 


    • Use spell checker.  Unfortunately spell checker only highlights incorrect spellings NOT spellings which are incorrect through grammar or context.  So double check your profile for such errors.   
    I have had plenty of laughs reading about well-educated, inteligent guys in there profiles who, for example, do not seem to know the difference between too and to, you're and your.  And has someone abolished punctuation?  You will soon learn what I mean. 
    • Do NOT come across as needy or desperate. Even if you are... you will in time evolve from this state, or keep repeating the same life patterns until YOU decide not to.  Similarly do not come across as miserable,  depressed or hard done by.  Quite often like attracts like.  Again I suggest you take a look at co-dependency on the Bibliography page.
    • I have left the subject of photographs as the last pointer because the next chapter will elaborate on it.  For now ensure your profile pictures are of you and are current.
    I have learned the most obvious sign of being fake is one single professional picture of an attractive person.  So to prevent yourself from being accused, have several photographs taken in various environments and situations; perhaps with other people (blanked out if they withhold permission or are too young to give permission for their faces to be published on the Internet).




    2 comments:

    1. Maybe I'm a shallow guy, but with all the wonderful people on the dating sites who has time to read everything. If the profile photo is good and attracts you, guaranteed your going to want to find out more. Spend the time and money on a photo editor and make yourself look fab (not plastic). I'm sure there are equally as many "shallow " women out there who don't have the time or inclination to trawl through pages of writing. So keep it short, funny , and if you need help most of the popular dating sites provide a service to help you write a decent profile.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I agree totally. I am of the opinion that a good photo (or preferably several) is the key to opening someone else's door. A good profile should ensure that person hasn't got their chain on ;).

      ReplyDelete